...don't even ignore 'em.
-- Samuel Goldwyn

Friday, May 13, 2005

A Militant Moderate Manifesto:

We need to come out of the closet. I'll go first. I believe we had to go to war with Bin Laden after 9/11 and we'd better stay on it, but I also believe we shouldn't behave like terrorists and suspend our belief in human rights. I don't like the way we went to war in Iraq. But I'm glad we took Saddam out. I think Al Franken is not funny anymore and therefore ineffective, and Michael Moore's a bull in the china shop. I think the neocons are clever, but nuts. I don't think we can bully the U.N. into reform, if it needs reforming, and therefore shouldn't embarrass ourselves. Bolton would probably be worth two or three more ratings points for Fox News, but he'd destroy the U.N., which, it's beginning to look to me, is on the same neocon hit list as Social Security. I think the Republicans have ridiculed the Democrats into disarray and sucked up all the air. Ergo: the John-John show last year. Now would be a good time for a new political party. I believe in America. But I think we're clueless about the rest of the world and drunk on our own hype--I mean you and me, not just Republicans--and we need to get out of our SUVs and take the country back from the ad agencies. I believe Bush & Co. are narrow-minded bastards. I was glad to see Colin get out of there, but as strong as he is he was a gutless wonder, too. If Hillary's the Democrats' next big thing, she needs to shake off the brave-loyal-partner image, kick cigar-boy to the curb and lead. It seems clear Howard Dean's not going to. Lead, I mean. I'd vote for John McCain for President, leading a slate of radical moderates. And, oh, by the way, I believe evolution is God's intelligent design.

No comments: