...don't even ignore 'em.
-- Samuel Goldwyn

Saturday, May 21, 2005

No more local TV news for me.

Last night I stayed up to watch a show on ABC and ended up sliding into KOMO-TV's eleven o'clock newscast. It was the night of Mary Kay and Vili's wedding. Of course, in Seattle, this was the lead story. Aside from all the rest of the nonsense surrounding this non-event (after almost a decade, why should I still be shocked?), what jolted me fully awake was the spectacle of Dan Lewis--whose oratorical style would be plenty incentive to stay away from KOMO if its tabloid editing weren't by far the better reason--Dan Lewis, making sure we don't miss that this is the same Mary Kay who spent seven years in prison for raping the young man she's marrying tonight. Just to make sure the irony-outrage got through, Dan looked into the lens and near-shouted, "She raped him!" Over the moon, even by local TV news's adrenal, intensely consulted standards. Even the best of this bad lot, KING-TV, makes my teeth itch at least half the time. I went to bed muttering to myself. Life is short. I don't have to live like that. I may break this resolution eventually, but for now, I'm not watching another minute of this crap.

1 comment:

geoff said...

Hear hear!