...don't even ignore 'em.
-- Samuel Goldwyn

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Pharmaceutical breakthrough?

I would have thought that the news that Bristol-Myers Squibb decided to voluntarily refrain from advertising new prescription drugs directly to the public in their first year of release would have appeared somewhere in the media babble last week, but if it did, I missed it. I had to find out about it in a subscription email I get from AdAge, which is polling readers, asking if all of Big Pharma should adopt the practice. I also learned that Johnson & Johnson [verrrry slow site] has added more disclosure of drug downsides to its ads. Didn't know that. Could it be that TV and other media where prescription drug advertising provides gigantic cash flow are ignoring this news, hoping it'll go away? Ask your doctor if drug ads are right for you.

No comments: