...don't even ignore 'em.
-- Samuel Goldwyn

Friday, October 14, 2005

Restless comments.

I want to show you a comment I just got on an earlier post, on GlaxoSmithKline's advertising for its Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) drug, Requip.

Just to let you know, RLS is a very painful disease, and "restless" is (I know) a very inadequate term to describe the condition. I agree Glaxo is pushing Requip to "cure" an incurable disease, but Requip does seem to help lessen many of the painful and chronic symptoms of RLS patients.

By the way, RLS was not first described in 1940; if you got this off Glaxo's site or the RLS Foundation site, they are wrong. It was first described in the 1600s amongst New World settlers (see "Sleep Thief" by Virginia Wilson.)
I went back and reread my post. What I'm reading between the lines of this reader's reaction is, I should back off a little on my smartass tone when whipping the curtain aside on the wizard at the controls. Real people with real pain are involved here. This is the second time a real person has called me on this. Now I'll stop writing before my self-justification urge kicks in. I'm glad real people are reading my blog. Thanks, Gordon.

No comments: