...don't even ignore 'em.
-- Samuel Goldwyn

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Distractions; pharmaceutical division.

Many of you conduct Web searches trying to find the name of that music on the "Requip" or "Restless Legs Syndrome" TV commercials. Some of you end up here. So far, none of the searches I've seen you making have led to the answer to this question. I don't know if only people who think they have RLS or depression are interested in the campaign's music. I haven't found the identity of the music, and I'm not inclined to go to a lot of trouble to do so. If you know it, and would like to leave it in the Comments section (link below), this is as good a place to do it as any.

I'm kind of surprised you're interested in such a thing, especially if you're looking for relief from the problem. I don't think the music will help. It does say something about the power of TV advertising, though, even in the age of "I never watch TV." One of the searches I followed did yield this gem, from the Department of Local-TV-Gotta-Do-Health-Features. A marvelous example of the work of the Get-The-Copy-On-The-Website Desk. [The Google cache link will get you past the station's pesky registration form.] There is one journalistic fact in the reporter's copy--that Requip isn't a cure for RLS, just an FDA-approved brain blocker for the symptoms. Which translates to daily pill sales. The drug is mainly for Parkinson's Disease. I'm not saying it's wrong to want relief, or that this drug doesn't provide it. I'm just pointing out that the RLS campaign is pretty much totally a marketing move. The truth shall make you free.

No comments: