...don't even ignore 'em.
-- Samuel Goldwyn

Friday, March 09, 2007

WHAT'S NOT HYPE?

Thinking this blog through again, one of my thoughts is: the problem with living in an info-tainment-gossip tsunami is not how do you tell what's hype; it's how to tell what's not. I'm afraid we must assume all of it is, until proven...what: not guilty? Disingenuous? Every piece of data is produced for somebody's purpose. Not necessarily a bad thing. I've said, I believe marketing and sales, thus hype, don't belong in the practice of health care and medicine, and these fields are now just plain ruled by the pharmaceutical branch of Madison Avenue. And then there's politics. The old political hokum has given way to the marketing-media complex, and I think that's wrong, too. TV news, too, especially the totally sold-out local TV station variety. These have been my focus here on these non-existent pages. Should I continue, or is this a lost cause? Should I be reporting the obvious rottenness, or trying to point to the tiny fraction of communication that's genuine? Which would be a full-time job--finding some, I mean--which I don't want. Any suggestions?

No comments: